Thursday, September 5, 2013

Traveling with a Toddler

Traveling with a toddler may not be as scary as it seams.  I have flown by myself with my daughter probably about 10 times now since she was born.  She is a really good traveler.  I do take a lot of time into packing the diaper traveling bag.  The diaper bag is very important to our success I believe.  Or maybe it is my optimism that my child is the best traveler!  We constantly get comments, "she is so happy", "she is so good", oh and my favorite, "I didn't even know there was a baby in front of me".  It also amazes me when I travel alone with her, how helpful people can be. Here is a list of my secret tips and tricks for traveling with a baby or toddler!

Must Haves:

1. Be prepared
2. Try and not be tired (Haha, I say this as I only got 5 hours of sleep last night!)
3. Patience
4. Diaper bag
5. Dress comfortable and light (bring a sweater just in case)
6. Dress little one comfortable
7. Snack for you
8. Stroller(check at the gate, so much easier to have with you)
9. Wear your baby ( Helps with security)
10. Try and carry on only you, your baby, diaper bag, and the stroller( less is more here so you have more hands to hold your baby)
11. Camera (carry or check (if large))
12. Car seat and all other luggage (They make a bag for your car seat, buy it, its fantastic. Your car seat will stay clean and not get ripped)
13. Birth certificate for lap child

Diaper bag or better known as my Marry Poppins bag:
1.Diapers (extra)
2. Wipes
3. Teething tablets ( we are still in this stage and you never know when she might come down with the grumpie's from her teeth, she is old enough to tell me they hurt now so I always have them).
4. Outfit change
5. Light sweater for baby
6. Calculator (real one to play with)
7. Old TV remote
8. New book(s)
9. New small toys ( Target $1 section is great, also Squinkies)
10. Favorite special toy
11. Coloring pad and paper ( Crayola has a whole bunch of mess free products, this trip I am taking the water coloring stuff)
12.Old non working cell phone ( the real stuff is the best because they usually are not supposed to have it)
13. Empty Sippy Cup/Bottle ( I always buy a water once I get through so you don't have to deal with security)
14. Stickers
15. Hand Sanitizer
16. Fork/Spoon (for baby)
17. Favorite movie and Ipad with new and favorite games
18.Small Etch in Sketch ( Target has these cheap)
19. Other tiny handheld toys
20. Old wallets filled with credit cards (they can put in, take out, over and over again)
21. Bracelets in a zipper wallet
22. Pez Dispenser
23. Don't forget the headphones for the Ipad (they make kid ones that are not loud)
24. Changing pad
25. Teething toys/ Pacifiers
26. Snacks- Be prepared and don't let them get hungry!


Snacks:
1. Edamame
2. Plums cut up
3. Yogurt melts
4. Yogurt covered raisins
5. granola
6. Puffs or Cherrios
7. Squeeze applesauce
8.Whatever else non messy favorite snack they may have

OH and a tip so you are not caught off guard! If you are wearing your baby in a Moby, Ergo, or any other carrier, they are going to pull you aside and swipe your hands for bomb making residue.  I am not really sure why a mom carrying her child is a threat. However, I have been checked every time and use to be frustrating until one of the TSA let me know why.  Make sure to familiarize yourself with security policies before traveling also.  Put your liquids under 3 oz inside a plastic baggy and have handy so you can easily put it in the bin when you get to security so your not fumbling around with everyone waiting for you to get out of the way.  Make sure to wear slip on shoes, makes it much easier when holding a baby.

New toys that they have never seen always seem to be a hit.  I usually buy at least 3-5 new toys and one bigger toy.  I don't give all at once. I try and keep them coming at a steady pace. I save the best for the most critical moment, which is usually on the plane when they want nothing more than to bug the people around you.  Sometimes I can get a solid thirty minutes out of a new toy.

One of the biggest tips I give is to try and plan your flight so it will be nap time, there is nothing better than sleeping on the plane with your little one and waking up when you arrive at your destination.  This can be risky playing with nap time and grumpy babies. But hopefully you have enough amo in your Marry Poppins bag to deal with war in the airport and plane! Here's too hoping we have a successful trip to Richmond today!

No comments:

Post a Comment